Saturday, February 13 | 10 a.m. to noon
Member Exclusive | FULL
Member Meet-Ups are small group get-togethers for Museum Members where we learn from each other while exploring Santa Cruz’s diverse natural spaces. Not yet a Member? Join today!
‘Tis the season for mushrooms! The UC Santa Cruz campus is a treasure trove for fungiphiles, from the Campus Natural Reserve open spaces to the paths and roads that meander past buildings. For this Member Meet-Up, we will explore the Upper Campus Natural Reserve, share our discoveries, and work together to identify what we find. Your group guide will be our Public Programs Manager Marisa Gomez. Please review the following details prior to registering:
- Wear a mask at all times
- If you feel sick, stay home
- Maintain at least six feet of distance from others
- We are limiting the number of Members who can join us to 12 individuals
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Location details and further instructions will be shared upon registration.
- Member Meet-Ups are more focused on shared exploration and less on downloading a bunch of information. We promise friendly (masked) faces, an abundance of enthusiasm, resources to aid in identifications, and a fun morning jaunt through the redwoods.
- As is the case with most mycologic, botanic, and geologic explorations, we will likely not travel very far due to constant distractions and pauses. That being said, be prepared to traipse through the woods on uneven terrain.
- We will be helping each other identify the mushrooms that we find, so feel free to bring your favorite field guide, but no prior knowledge is required.
- iNaturalist is a useful tool to aid in your identifications, as well as support an effort to document our area’s biodiversity. We invite you to consider downloading the app ahead of time and we will help you learn how to use it.