Connect with local Indigenous cultural traditions during this workshop led by Amah Mutsun artisan and elder, Eleanor Castro. Using shells, pine nuts, and other natural materials, we will craft necklaces under Eleanor’s guidance while learning about the traditional skills and cultural teachings of the Amah Mutsun.
Saturday, July 1, 2023
10 a.m. to noon
Location: Santa Cruz Museum of Natural History
$35 Members | $45 General
This program has reached capacity. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to a waitlist.
Email email@example.com with any questions, accommodation requests, or if you have trouble registering.
About the Artist
Eleanor Castro is an Elder of the Amah Mutsun tribal band from San Juan Bautista, descendent of the Ohlone Coastanoan people. Her great- great-grandmother spoke Mutsun and also Awaswas, which was the tribe taken to build Mission Santa Cruz.
She learned her cultural and artisanal knowledge from other native people and by studying notes from J.P. Harrington and other tribal members. With this knowledge she has become a Cultural teacher and mentor Elder to the stewards of the Amah Mutsun Land Trust. She has worked out in the fields as cook, prayer, leader, mentor, and much more. She also teaches her craft of beading at the Fresno American Indian Health Project in Fresno, CA and at an annual Native youth camp.
Accessibility and Logistics
- Wear layers and be prepared to be out in the sun for long stretches of time.
- This program will occur in the amphitheater behind the Museum. There is a ramp to get down to the amphitheater, but at the end are steps. We will also head across the street to Seabright Beach for a portion of the walk, including being on sand (we’ll head about 50 feet out onto the sand from the beach entrance).
- Leave your pets at home. Trained service animals are allowed.
- Restrooms are available inside the Museum.
- Parking permits are required on Pilkington Ave. adjacent to the Museum. Staff will provide one for any participant who parks there.
- All materials provided.
- Youth under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult. Registration fees apply to all ages.
- Follow the latest guidelines for COVID safety at the time of the event.