Join State Park Interpreter Susan Blake for a guided experience in Big Basin Redwoods State Park. Established in 1902, Big Basin Redwoods is California’s oldest state park and home to the largest continuous stand of ancient coast redwoods south of San Francisco. A new chapter in Big Basin’s story began on August 18, 2020, when the CZU Lightning Complex Fire swept through 97% of the park’s property.
During this walk, we’ll explore how the fire impacted the park, how it is recovering, and what’s next for the Reimagining Big Basin project.
Saturday, August 12, 2023
Location: Big Basin (there will be carpooling and meeting details will be shared upon registration).
Accessibility notes below.
$20 Suggested Donation
This program has reached capacity. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to a waitlist.
About the CZU and YOU Series
Explore the role of fire on our landscape through a series of walks that invite our community to reflect on the CZU Lightning Complex fires of August 2020, while learning about proactive steps being taken throughout the County to manage the landscape both for and with fire. Explore fire resources from past events here.
In Partnership With
CZU and You Events
- 8/4 First Friday After Hours | FireGet to know Santa Cruz’s WILD SIDE at the Museum of Natural History. Nerd out on your night out during monthly after hours events, featuring rotating themes, … Read more
- 8/5 CZU and You: Henry CowellHenry Cowell Redwoods State Park has implemented a new prescribed burn program that allows community members to actively participate in forest management practices that support … Read more
- Naturalist Night: Reintroducing Fire (watch recording)Fire is a natural part of the California landscape and plays an integral role in our local ecology. For millennia, Indigenous communities have stewarded the … Read more
- FULL 8/12 CZU and You: Big BasinJoin State Park Interpreter Susan Blake for a guided experience in Big Basin Redwoods State Park. Established in 1902, Big Basin Redwoods is California’s oldest state … Read more
- FULL 8/19 CZU and You: San Vicente RedwoodsSan Vicente Redwoods is the largest privately-held redwood forest in the Santa Cruz mountains, protected by an unprecedented coalition of land trust partners, including Sempervirens … Read more
- 8/26 CZU and You: Fall CreekJoin the Santa Cruz Museum of Natural History for a guided walk of the Fall Creek Unit of Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park in partnership with California State Parks … Read more
Accessibility and What to Expect
- We will be carpooling from our parking spot to the walk site, so please be prepared to be with us for the duration of the program.
- Participants should be prepared to walk 1-2 miles on mostly paved and flat trails.
- Restrooms are available near the parking lot.
- Wear layers, comfortable shoes, and bring any snacks/water you might need.
- Please leave your pets at home. Trained service animals are permitted.
- Youth under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult.