EDUCATION PROGRAM INTERNSHIP
The Santa Cruz Museum of Natural History seeks a nature enthusiast with a passion for education to intern with the Museum’s Education Programs.
- Learn and teach one of the Museum’s elementary school education programs on a weekly basis, depending on your schedule and specific interest. Programs offered include:
- Animal Programs on Thursday mornings at the Museum (K-2nd grade)
- Ohlone Programs on Wednesday and Friday mornings at the Museum (K-4th grade)
- Wetland Walks on Tuesday and Thursday mornings at Neary Lagoon (3rd grade)
- Nature Rangers (hikes) on Wednesday and Friday mornings at Pogonip (4th grade)
- Watershed Walks on Wednesday and Friday mornings at Neary Lagoon (5th grade)
- Assist with curriculum development of educational programs, including program assessment and classroom kit activity development.
Interns receive training and gain experience in:
- Environmental and outdoor education principles and practice
- Curriculum development and elementary school education standards
- Public speaking and communication skills
- Natural history topics
- Nonprofit management, administration, and museum operations
- Minimum commitment of 4 hours/week for 10 weeks
- Able to lift 30lbs
- Interest and/or experience in education, natural sciences, museum operations,and curriculum development
- Ability to work independently
- Organized and excellent attention to detail
- Consent to a Livescan background check (will be reimbursed for $30 fee)
- CPR and First Aid certification preferred
About the Santa Cruz Museum of Natural History: Founded over 100 years ago, the Santa Cruz Museum of Natural History is rooted in understanding and sharing a fascination of the natural world. Today, education remains at the core of the Museum's mission: to connect people to nature. All of the Museum's educational programs are designed to foster understanding and appreciation of Santa Cruz's rich natural and cultural history. Each year, the Museum provides quality school programming to thousands of youth. With its vast collection of local artifacts and one-of-a-kind exhibits, the Museum offers unique learning opportunities for students to delve into natural and cultural history topics in ways they cannot in their classrooms.
TO APPLY: Please fill out an online application at santacruzmuseum.org/volunteer
Send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or 831-420-6115, #13
Visit the School Programs page on our website for more information about the Museum’s education programs.