‘Tis the season for mushrooms! Join Museum staffer Marisa Gomez for a guided exploration of the Santa Cruz Mountains where we will work together to identify what we find in the duff and stumps of redwoods, firs, oaks, madrones, and more.
Saturday, December 16, 2023
10 a.m. to noon
Member Exclusive | Join today!
- Location details and further instructions will be shared with registrants in advance of the program. The location. will be in Santa Cruz County within a 20 minute drive of the Museum.
- Please leave your doggos at home. Trained service animals are permitted.
- As is the case with most mycologic, botanic, and geologic explorations, we will likely not travel very far due to constant distractions and pauses. That being said, be prepared to traipse through the woods on uneven terrain for up to 2 miles.
- We will be helping each other identify the mushrooms that we find and no prior knowledge is required.
- We encourage you to bring a copy of Mushrooms of the Redwood Coast to aid in your identifications and help you develop skills that you’ll be able to take with you after the program. Members receive 10% off in our store.
- iNaturalist is a useful tool to aid in your identifications, as well as support an effort to document our area’s biodiversity. We invite you to consider downloading the app ahead of time and we will help you learn how to use it.
About the Walk Leader
Marisa Gomez is the Community Education and Collaboration Manager at the Santa Cruz Museum of Natural History. Her specialty is in facilitating experiences where communities can connect and build skills together over a shared appreciation for nature. She’s particularly fond of mushrooms, rocks, and natural dyes.