Nature Club takes young explorers (6th-8th grade) into local habitats to learn about the amazing living world around us while making discoveries along the way. Programs are led by Museum staff with kids dropped off at rotating locations, including local parks, open spaces, and of course at the Museum! Exploration and activities help kids learn more about nature through observation and experience while developing a deeper connection to nature and making new friends.
- 10/1 Nature Club: Pogonip – A Trip Through HistoryJoin us to explore approximately 4 miles of trail in Pogonip, the largest open natural space in Santa Cruz. Enjoy beautiful views of Santa Cruz and the Monterey … Read more
- 11/5 Nature Club: Neary Lagoon and Migratory MadnessNeary Lagoon in the autumn is full of life! Migratory birds seek food and shelter in large numbers and provide excellent opportunities to study them up close. The … Read more
- 12/3 Nature Club: Wild at the Ranch (Wilder Ranch)We will explore the coastal prairie and cliff terraces habitats that support tons of wildlife. Seabirds, harbor seals, hawks, and so much more wildlife can be seen as … Read more
- 1/14 Nature Club: Museum Deep DiveExplore collections and specimens from the Museum that do not always get to be seen by the public. The Museum’s extensive collection of fossils, shells, animal specimens, and … Read more
- 2/4 Nature Club: Finding Fungus at DeLaveaga ParkWe will explore the forests and trails of DeLaveaga Park, traversing about 3 miles of trails. The great variety of trees in these forests supports a huge amount … Read more
- 3/4 Nature Club: Exploring the Tide Pools at Natural BridgesThe tide pools at Natural Bridges are some of the best in Santa Cruz and they are teeming with living creatures. Explore tide pools and nearby coastal prairie … Read more
- 4/1 Nature Club: Arana Gulch, Santa Cruz Harbor, and Spring WildflowersSpring wildflowers abound at Arana Gulch! We will explore the 63 acre open space observing wildlife, exploring forests and fields, and walking around the adjacent Santa Cruz Harbor … Read more
- 5/6 Nature Club: Neary Lagoon – A Living NurserySpringtime at Neary Lagoon means one thing – baby waterbirds! Neary Lagoon is home to lots of newly hatched bird life, and we can observe hatchling ducks, grebes, … Read more
- 6/3 Nature Club: Moore Creek Preserve and Summer StartupKick off the beginning of summer with an awesome visit to the Moore Creek Preserve, exploring different communities found in one of our best local habitats. Birds, deer, … Read more
What to Expect
Programs run from 10:00 a.m -12:30 p.m. and occur on the first Saturday of the month. The Museum does not provide transportation to offsite meeting spots, and participants should be dropped off and picked up by parents/guardians. Some programs may be physically rigorous so please email email@example.com if you have questions about trail accessibility. Programs occur rain or shine, barring extreme weather.