Explore the nature of Santa Cruz — wherever you are! Connect with local experts and join your community in deepening understanding about nature, science, and stewardship online and in-person. Stay updated about upcoming events by signing up for our newsletter.
- 12/3 Winter Open HouseJoin the Santa Cruz Museum of Natural History for a free and festive day celebrating the changing of the seasons. Enjoy complimentary cookies and cider while making nature-inspired crafts — from … Read more
- 12/10 Mini Fungus FairIt’s mushroom season! Join local fungiphiles at the Santa Cruz Museum of Natural History for the return of the (Mini) Fungus Fair in partnership with the Fungus Federation of Santa Cruz. Explore … Read more
- 12/14 Nature Journal StudioNature journaling can help us view the natural world with new perspectives, learn about our surroundings, and see the extraordinary in the ordinary. During monthly Nature Journal Studio sessions at the … Read more
- 12/17 Member Meet-Up: Mushrooms at UC Santa Cruz‘Tis the season for mushrooms! The UC Santa Cruz campus is a treasure trove for fungiphiles. Join Museum staffer Marisa Gomez for a guided exploration of the Upper Campus Natural Reserve … Read more
- FULL 12/21 Solstice Tide Pool WalkThe Winter Solstice coincides with the approach of the new moon, bringing excellent low tides that are perfect for exploring the intertidal zone and its many fascinating creatures. Celebrate the changing of … Read more
Upcoming Nature Club Events
Nature Club takes young explorers (6th-8th grade) into local habitats to learn about the amazing living world around us while making discoveries along the way. Learn more.
- 12/3 Nature Club: Wild at the Ranch (Wilder Ranch)We will explore the coastal prairie and cliff terraces habitats that support tons of wildlife. Seabirds, harbor seals, hawks, and so much more wildlife can be seen as we walk along … Read more
- 1/14 Nature Club: Museum Deep DiveExplore collections and specimens from the Museum that do not always get to be seen by the public. The Museum’s extensive collection of fossils, shells, animal specimens, and more allow us … Read more
- 2/4 Nature Club: Finding Fungus at DeLaveaga ParkWe will explore the forests and trails of DeLaveaga Park, traversing about 3 miles of trails. The great variety of trees in these forests supports a huge amount of fungal life. … Read more
- 3/4 Nature Club: Exploring the Tide Pools at Natural BridgesThe tide pools at Natural Bridges are some of the best in Santa Cruz and they are teeming with living creatures. Explore tide pools and nearby coastal prairie habitat and learn … Read more
- 4/1 Nature Club: Arana Gulch, Santa Cruz Harbor, and Spring WildflowersSpring wildflowers abound at Arana Gulch! We will explore the 63 acre open space observing wildlife, exploring forests and fields, and walking around the adjacent Santa Cruz Harbor to look for … Read more
- 5/6 Nature Club: Neary Lagoon – A Living NurserySpringtime at Neary Lagoon means one thing – baby waterbirds! Neary Lagoon is home to lots of newly hatched bird life, and we can observe hatchling ducks, grebes, coots, and more … Read more
- 6/3 Nature Club: Moore Creek Preserve and Summer StartupKick off the beginning of summer with an awesome visit to the Moore Creek Preserve, exploring different communities found in one of our best local habitats. Birds, deer, coyotes, rabbits, and … Read more