Come to the Museum for Naturalist Night and explore the diverse natural history of Santa Cruz. Each month we will feature a different guest speaker from the local community to share stories, artifacts, and knowledge about a unique aspect of our natural world. Gain insight, build new skills, share your stories, and befriend fellow naturalists.
Special Event: Exploring the Equinox
Instead of a Naturalist Night lecture for the month of March, the Museum will be hosting a special event featuring a series of lightning talks.
Thursday, March 19 | 6:30-9 p.m. | Get Tickets
Free with Admission*
Location: Santa Cruz Museum of Natural History
Talks will begin at 7 p.m. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. for station exploration and refreshments. Pre-registration highly recommended.
Explore the Spring Equinox on the evening of the celestial event. A series of lightning talks at the Santa Cruz Museum of Natural History will illuminate different angles of the equinox, from the scientific to the cultural.
The lightning talks will begin at 7 p.m. — arrive early to grab an Equinox Elixir made with Venus gin, explore the Museum, and talk with our speakers. Topics to be explored throughout the evening include:
- What even is the equinox?
- How does the equinox affect the earth’s systems?
- How does the equinox affect humans?
- What meaning can be derived from the equinox as symbolism?
- What does the equinox mean from a cultural perspective?
About our speakers:
- Alexa Villaume, PhD candidate, Astronomy & Astrophysics Department, UC Santa Cruz
- Bruce Lyon, Professor, Ecology & Evolutionary Biology Department, UC Santa Cruz
- Lisa Heschong, Chapter Member, International DarkSky Association
- Anna Friz, Assistant Professor, Film & Digital Media Department, UC Santa Cruz
- Martin Devecka, Assistant Professor, Literature Department, UC Santa Cruz
Featuring a no-host bar, this event is free with admission and pre-registration is highly recommended. Sponsored by Venus Spirits.
*$4 General | $2 Students/Seniors | Free for Members and Youth Under 18
Do you have an idea for a future Naturalist Night? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org. Interested in attending, but not ready to purchase a ticket? Call (831) 420-6115 or email email@example.com to reserve a seat and pay at the door — events with low enrollment are subject to cancellation.