Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park has implemented a new prescribed burn program that allows community members to actively participate in forest management practices that support the health and resiliency of the park. Join us for this two part program where we’ll:
1. Learn about fire ecology in the redwoods and current forest management practices underway in the Redwood Grove of Henry Cowell Redwoods, including burn piles that are being created by community volunteers.
2. Practice building burn piles alongside State Parks staff and volunteers for future burn days. This is a unique opportunity to actively support land management both for and with fire in Santa Cruz County.
Saturday, August 5, 2023
10 a.m. to noon
Location: Henry Cowell (meeting details will be shared upon registration).
Accessibility notes below.
$20 Suggested Donation
About the CZU and YOU Series
Explore the role of fire on our landscape through a series of walks that invite our community to reflect on the CZU Lightning Complex fires of August 2020, while learning about proactive steps being taken throughout the County to manage the landscape both for and with fire. Explore fire resources from past events here.
In Partnership With
CZU and You Events
- 8/4 First Friday After Hours | FireGet to know Santa Cruz’s WILD SIDE at the Museum of Natural History. Nerd out on your night out during monthly after hours events, featuring rotating … Read more
- 8/5 CZU and You: Henry CowellHenry Cowell Redwoods State Park has implemented a new prescribed burn program that allows community members to actively participate in forest management practices that … Read more
- Naturalist Night: Reintroducing Fire (watch recording)Fire is a natural part of the California landscape and plays an integral role in our local ecology. For millennia, Indigenous communities have stewarded … Read more
- FULL 8/12 CZU and You: Big BasinJoin State Park Interpreter Susan Blake for a guided experience in Big Basin Redwoods State Park. Established in 1902, Big Basin Redwoods is California’s oldest … Read more
- FULL 8/19 CZU and You: San Vicente RedwoodsSan Vicente Redwoods is the largest privately-held redwood forest in the Santa Cruz mountains, protected by an unprecedented coalition of land trust partners, including … Read more
- 8/26 CZU and You: Fall CreekJoin the Santa Cruz Museum of Natural History for a guided walk of the Fall Creek Unit of Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park in partnership with California State … Read more
Accessibility and What to Expect
- Participants should be prepared to walk 1-2 miles on mostly paved and flat trails.
- Restrooms are available near the parking lot.
- Wear layers, comfortable shoes, and bring any snacks/water you might need.
- The first hour of the program will be a guided tour, and we will end with an opportunity to help build brush piles for those who are interested. NOTE: We will be building the piles, not burning them. Please wear boots, bring work gloves, and be prepared to work in varying terrain/conditions should you like to participate in this portion of the program. Please watch this video before attending.
- Please leave your pets at home. Trained service animals are permitted.
- Youth under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult.