Come in costume and imbibe cauldron-concocted cocktails while exploring the chasms of the world beneath our feet. The seventh annual Museum of the Macabre will be bigger than ever with freakish festivities and special exhibits outdoors and inside the Museum’s galleries. This year’s tricks and treats will unearth the mysteries of the underground:
- Costume contest (see below for details)
- Outdoor movie screening of Tremors from Westside Video
- Freakish features including mysterious fossils, creepy crawlies, magnificent minerals, fascinating fungi, and more
- Admission to the new exhibit Underground: Unearthing Unseen Worlds
- Treats for sale including Areperia 831, Discretion Brewing, and curated cocktails
- Many other shocking examples of nature’s dark side…
- Explore photos from last year’s event here.
$15 Members | $25 General
21+ | Admission includes one free drink.
Online presale discounts end October 27.
$30 at the door. Space is limited.
Saturday, October 28, 2023
- Dress on theme for a chance to win a costume prize! This year’s theme is THE UNDERGROUND (think creepy crawlies, caves, mushrooms, earthquakes, landfills…)
- Costumes should not be obstructive or offensive in nature.
- Costumes should not contain sharp or pointed objects, or materials that may accidentally strike guests or exhibits.
- Costumes should not contain any elements which resemble or could easily be mistaken for an actual weapon.
- The event will occur at Tyrrell Park and inside the Santa Cruz Museum of Natural History.
- Limited number of tickets available and online presale discounts end October 27.
- Please follow local guidelines for COVID safety at the time of the event.
- The Museum and restrooms are wheelchair accessible. Park festivities will be on both level and slanted grass. The movie and costume contest will occur in the amphitheater behind the Museum where there are steps to enter. Both will be visible from the grass above.
- Please leave your pets at home. Trained service animals are permitted.
- Review more details on our Accessibility page.
- Email email@example.com with any question, help with registration, or accommodation requests.
Thank you to our partners!
- Areperia 831 | Vegan Venezuelan Food Vendor
- Bat Conservation International | Bats!
- Blind the Sun | Artist Vendor
- Discretion Brewing | Beer Sponsor
- The Local Naturalist | Artist Vendor
- Native Animal Rescue | Live Animals!
- Pacific Paleontology | Fossil Display and Identification
- Super Original | Immersive Displays
- UC Master Gardeners | Worm Bins
- UCSC Earth and Planetary Sciences | Local Geology
- Westside Video | Movie Screening of Tremors