The Santa Cruz Museum of Natural History is a great place to visit for nature and science exploration, and we want to join you as you continue to explore at home and outside.
“The Museum At Your Side” is a collection of hands-on activities, informative articles, and engaging videos to connect you with nature and science wherever you are!
Activities, guides, lectures, workshops, guided nature experiences, and other resources to support your nature explorations from home or while outside. See more.
- Rockin’ Pop-Up: The Curious Case of the Three Rock Types
- Rockin’ Pop-Up: Minerals
- Rockin’ Pop-Up: A Geologist’s Toolkit
- Lecture: Data is Not the Destination with Christian Schwarz
- Rockin’ Pop-Up: Santa Cruz Formations
- Meet a Painting: Magnetic Mousing by Hajra Meeks
- Lecture: Exploring Science Through Art
- Sourgrass Natural Dye Video Tutorial
- Science Illustration Prompt: Engage Your Senses
- Community Connections
Activities for Kids
Family-friendly and youth-focused activities, videos, articles, and more to aid in your nature exploration! See more.
- Light Spectra Activity
- Phenology Wheel Activity
- May Day Flower Crown Video Tutorial
- Nature Journal from Your Window
- Sound Map Activity
- Build a Bug Net Video Tutorial
- What’s In a Naturalist’s Backpack?
- Santa Cruz Nature Bingo
- Museum Coloring Book
- Natural Pigments
Resources for Teachers
Activities, worksheets, videos, and more developed to support standards and formal learning. See more.
- Bird Beak Activity | 2nd grade
- Animals in Their Habitat Activity | 2nd grade
- Plant Growth Observations Activity | 2nd Grade
- Weather Observation Activity | 3rd grade
- Skull Detectives Activity | 2-3 grade
- Ohlone Matching Game | 3-4 grade
- Pollinator Matching Activity | 2nd grade
- Food Web Activity | 3-5 grade
- Great Horned Owl Activity | 3-5 grade
- Tree Canopy Activity | 4-5 grade